Saturday, January 17, 2009

the chicken dance.

Tonight for dinner I am making thyme-buttermilk fried chicken on a bed of sweet potato puree with crispy pan-fried shallots, homemade buttermilk onion rings & a celeraic and cabbage apple cider vinegar slaw.



The fried chicken is done in peanut oil, the only way to do fried chicken other than your own lard from scratch. The oil will be infused with fresh herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary) as well as a head of garlic, bay leaves, and my own touch: a bruleed sweet vidalia onion. Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence of "Tyler's Ultimate".



The sweet potato puree recipe is my own, and easy peasy. The onion rings will be sweet vidalias as well, coated and "marinated" in buttermilk, fresh thyme & marjoram, and good ol' s+p, then also deep fried. The celeraic-cabbage apple cider slaw looks delicious in the cookbook and uses apple cider vineger, good quality grainy mustard, and some of my favourite dried herbs. Recipes courtesy of Anthony Sedlak of "The Main". I just love mixing recipes from my favourite babes of Food Network Canada; or, you know, the only two men under 35 with their own cooking shows.




This is what the end result is supposed to look like. For now, I gotta go spread the legs of my bird & de-bone that baby & brine it all day in sea salt & water & fresh herbs. I'm so excited. Last night I facebook-chatted with a classmate from my program at George Brown for an hour about the pros/cons of deep-frying in lard vs. vegetable oil, duck confit & the differant ways to prepare it, and our favourite reducing, basting, marinating and de-glazing methods. She was almost as excited as I was for me to debone my first (raw) organic, free-run chicken all on my own. Just me & my boning knife.

For all you vegetarians & meat-haters out there, sorry dudes, I just couldn't resist posting pictures. I fucking love this shit.

No comments: