Monday, January 19, 2009

i was made to love magic.

Today I read an interesting article on Bitten, David Bittman's New York Times blog on food, in which the author posed the following question of his readers:

"I’d like to help readers who are trying to think of the perfect meal for a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife on Valentine’s Day, but tastes are far from universal, so it’s a challenge. So here’s my question: What would you like a loved one to cook for you this February 14?"




See above, a couple very much so in love.


This is a question that I have been pondering for years. Last year, I made my then-sweetheart homemade Thai food. He took me for thai, a then first for me, on our first date the previous October; a night we both originally thought was simply to justify the night before (& a very public makeout session at a Brother Ali show). Sure enough, four months later there we were: Green Curry with chicken & vegetables, pad thai with tofu, and thai-style rice made for a lovely dinner, and since he was an hour late, it didn't involve too much cooking after he already arrived. I feel like this is an important Valentine's Day move. You know, so you have your hands free to drink red wine and make out (and exchange heartfelt, thoughtful gifts if you're into that sort of thing). I started dinner off with a plate of grilled pita & assorted crackers, roasted garlic, and brie. Certainly not Thai, but delicious nonetheless. No one says no to brie, and I always say yes to anything with roasted garlic.


Needless to say, this article piqued my interest. With my then-sweetheart behind me (don't fret, we're still good friends!), and a new one on the table, I know that the pressure's on. I now go to culinary school at George Brown, home of one of the best schools for my program in the country, and I can no longer make a shitty dish & simply shrug it off. Even if I'm only a month into the two year program.

I hadn't a fleeting thought about Valentine's Day until just now, and now for the past hour it's but all I can think about. Do I go the traditional route (think: filet mignon, blue cheese, red wine, anything caramelized..), or eclectic? I'm allergic to oysters and don't know his thoughts on figs, so aphrodisiacs are probably not the way to go. Indian food, too. We went for Indian food on our first real dinner & a movie "date". Considering that's the only time I've ever had Indian food, I hardly think this is one of those times that the "road less travelled" philosophy is the.. way to travel? I think even Robert Frost himself would agree.



Fortunately for me, he's a boy, and he's not picky, so as long as it's home-cooked I'm sure we'll both be happy. As I pleasantly discovered this past weekend, he likes to cook too, and gets really enthusiastic after three or four beers. I chose to find it endearing and rather cute when my buttermilk onion rings turned into buttermilk onion ring cake after he got a little tong-happy to one-too-many rap songs (and maybe one too many beers as well!). For all I know, I could be getting a little trigger-happy myself as we haven't even discussed the V word yet.

Part of the author's question, not quoted above, was also asking for savory breakfast ideas (presumedly for the morning after). The guy who suggested you serve your significant other cold pizza for Valentine's Day breakfast makes me feel physically ill. Sure, chivalry's dead and all, but can't you at least poach your girlfriend an egg?

I can only hope my Loverboy is reading this.

No comments: